SET amid a “19th-century miniature country estate” the final two properties at Wedgwood Park in Abergavenny are now on sale, offering a rare chance to ensure the history of the area lives on for future generations.
In creating the exclusive, gated development, Edenstone Homes has honoured the history of the site, giving the former Mansion House a new lease of life as apartments, converting outbuildings in to homes and constructing new build homes.
The gardens, grounds and parkland were recognised by the Welsh Government’s historic environment service Cadw and the International Council on Monuments and Sites in 2010 when they were described as a “rare example of a type that is not often well preserved. Their principal character is that of an early nineteenth century miniature country estate, containing a mansion, outbuildings, informal and formal pleasure gardens, walled garden, wooded grounds and small park.”
Much of the land has been retained as open space for exclusive use by residents with the new neighbourhood featuring extensive parkland with beautiful woodland trails; barbecue and picnic area; plus Victorian walled garden.
Martin Taylor, managing director of Edenstone Homes, said: “What was once known as The Hill has a rich history and one that people are naturally curious about. Most recently, before we took ownership of the land, it was used as an education and conference centre, but there’s been a house on the site in some form since at least the 18th century.
“One of the most noteworthy former residents is John Wedgwood, of the famous potters’ family, who lived here in the 1830s, and who we named the development after. He was one of the founders of what is now the Royal Horticultural Society and while living here won first prize in the Crickhowell and Abergavenny Flower Show, with his Iris Espanica.”
John Wedgwood was a banker and distinguished horticulturalist. In 1804 together with Sir Joseph Banks, William Forsyth and Thomas Andrew Knight, he founded the London Horticultural Society, which is today known as the Royal Horticultural Society.
John Wedgwood’s gardening diary, kept at the RHS Lindley Library in London, covers the period when he lived in Abergavenny.
The Hill was sold for £10,000 in 1902 to Edward Pritchard Martin, who enlarged and embellished the house, adding his family crest, which can still be seen today, to the front.